Hello, Mike.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 17:19:31 +0100, Mike Civil wrote:
> On 14/06/2024 17:00, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Right now, I have a problem.  Is there any convenient way I can get the
> > older standard file contents back again, so as to be able to do this
> > 3-way diff?

> Does etc-update or dispatch-conf not give you the option to selectively
> update and/or to diff the file?

In theory, yes.  In practice, dispatch-conf just offers a single
~130-line long hunk, which is useless for distinguishing wanted pieces of
code from old superseded code.  As I say, what's missing is the old
repository version, which would allow a diff3.

Maybe I should submit a feature request to Gentoo's bugzilla.

> Going forward it might be better to put your custom changes in a file
> under /etc/bash/bashrc.d which won't then get clobbered by portage.

Or something like that, yes!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).