On Saturday, 15 June 2024 18:24:04 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2024 at 12:39:09PM +0100, Michael wrote
>
> > The maximum temperature at which your CPU die with its 65W TDP starts
> > throttling to keep its temperatures safe is 100°C TjMax.  Look at the
> > TJunction number here:
> >
> > https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/199271/intel-core-i51
> > 0400-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz/specifications.html
> >
> > According to Intel anything below 100°C is 'normal'.  If this were
> > my CPU I would not worry with temperatures ~70-85°C.  Above that
> > I would install a better CPU cooler.
>
>   Thanks.  I wasn't aware of the two different versions of "Max
> Temperature".

I have had laptops which throttled on hot days and when there wasn't enough
airflow around/underneath them.  You'll see dmesg filling up with warnings
about max temp reached or some such and any heavy lifting compilation taking
forever to finish, since the CPU is throttling and cutting out.  If the
overheating was extreme due to a race condition, then the laptop would just
shutdown.  Since you have not observed this kind of rather concerning
symptoms, I think you can continue using the schedutil governor which is quite
intelligent in juggling and optimising tasks.  Check the documentation for
your kernel in:

/usr/src/linux-6.6.30-gentoo/Documentation/scheduler/schedutil.rst