On Tuesday, 25 June 2024 15:27:00 BST Dale wrote:
> Picking here to get a fresh sub thread going.  Attempt two.
>
> I got all the packages installed.  Made sure the Nvidia video drivers
> were loaded.  I remembered to make sure elogind was running.  It wasn't,
> so I started it.  Why doesn't display-manager pull that in???

You need to have USE="elogind -systemd" in your make.conf, then add the
elogind service to the *boot* runlevel as shown here:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Elogind

> Anyway, I
> started display-manager and got the sddm screen.  I selected Plasma x11
> instead of Plasma wayland.  I then logged in.  It took a little bit but
> finally the screen came up.  All I get is the 'Welcome to KDE plasma"
> window.  Everything else is black.  I like the screen that says "simple
> by default".  It's simple alright.  A black screen is pretty simple.

LOL!

> The mouse pointer moves so it sees the mouse.  Right click should bring
> up a menu.  Nothing.  The little panel thing that is usually at the
> bottom, nothing.  Once I close the welcome window, it's black.
>
> This is the messages file from the point of me starting display-manager.
[snip ..]

> Does this yield any clues?

Not yet.

Can you please save and attach as plain text files your:

1. dmesg
2. Xorg.0.log
3. ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log
4. /var/log/sddm.log

after you end up in a black screen, in case they reveal something.