Howdy,

I did a major upgrade and found out I had a lot of config files to
update.  I performed those updates, while losing some of my settings.
Anyway, I figured out how to set the alias variables.  Simple enough.
Create a file and list them in the file.  The PS1 is different because
it usually determines if a user is root or not and gives a different
prompt.  That requires a little bit of scripting, which most know is a
huge weak point for me.

I tried setting PS1 by copying the part of the old bashrc file and
putting it in a file in the bashrc.d directory.  It went sideways
quick.  Sometimes it wouldn't log me in at all.  It acted like I typed
in a bad password.  Then I used grep -r to see if there was a clash in
setting PS1.  Turns out, there is.  If you want to set your prompt to
something other than the default, look and see if you have a file named
gentoo-color.bash in the bashrc.d directory.  You may want to use grep
-r in case PS1 is in another file too.  If you have that file tho, set
the PS1 variable in it.  If not, it causes issues.  The issue seems to
depend on what it is reading first and last.

I figure most set this in a bashrc file in the user directory they want
it to apply too.  It seems tho that bash is moving to a new way.  Sort
of like portage did when package.* files became directories.  I kinda
like the change really.  If I want to change a alias, I change the alias
file.  Easy to find, nothing to remember which is good for me, and it
kinda organizes things.  Also easy to remove if no longer needed.

Also, some software can add files to the bashrc.d directory too.  I'm
not sure what added the gentoo-color file but I also found a file for
kitty that I installed recently.  If I remove kitty, it removes the file
too.  From what I've read, this is why it is changing to a directory.
It gives software a place to change these settings and be removed if the
software is removed.

I just wanted to post this as a heads up for those who don't know about
the change.  Not being able to login was a bit nerve wrecking.  o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)