Remove the date.....so it becomes
/etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware
then it applies to all of them and not the specified version.

Hope that helps

From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2024 12:17 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] Eliminating unwanted linux-firmware blobs.

Is there any graceful way to handle the elimination of unwanted
linux-firmware blobs when doing an update?

I believe I understand the process as outlined at
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Linux_firmware:

 1. install/upgrade sys-kernel/linux-firmware
 2. edit /etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware-ddmmyyyy
 3. re-emerge sys-kernel/linux-firmware with the savedcofnig USE flag

I've tried that a few times, but it's rather annoying to have to do
that every time linux-firmware gets updated.

AFAICT, the list of three or four blobs that I actually need on a
specific machine never changes.

It seems like there ought to be a way to configure that required
firmware list and have the emerge -u "just work", but I can't find
it. Have I missed something?

Yes, I know...
  Disk space is cheap.
  Premature optimization ...