you could first pipe portage output to tee perhaps portage.log for a file
to hold output then use grep on portage.log to find notifications in
context sofollowing lines of notifications would be preserved.  I've not
used grep with lines of context before yet so don't know how that feature
would work.

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.