On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 23:11 -0800, Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 22:43 -0500, Shawn Singh wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Over the course of the past 2 weeks I've come home to a  "zombie
> > machine" two times. Here are the  symptoms:
> >

> It does sound like hardware.  I'd check three things first:
>
> 1) Are all the fans in the system working?
> 2) Check for swollen or leaking capacitors (see
> http://www.trendit.co.za/capacitor.htm).  This is *really* common, so
> don't discount it until you've checked.

An added note on this: you can actually repair boards like this (you can
replace any capacitor with a capacitor of equal or greater capacity),
but I've found that it's not worth it.  It can take a couple hours and
is pretty hit or miss (I once replaced half the caps on a dead board
which got it working, then replaced the other half and it never worked
again :P).

Regards,
Cliff