On 14/07/2024 13:04, Peter Humphrey wrote:
It doesn't do that here. It tries to fetch the binary and bombs out when it
can't be found. Then I have to edit make.conf to update Gentoo, then put it
back as it was for the rest of the system.

Do you have PORTAGE_DEFAULT_OPTIONS or whatever it's called set? That's caused me similar grief - it messed up my attempts to update my profile, it regularly messed up my virtualbox updates, etc etc.

And if you have to edit various environment variables in make.conf, you know you can override them on the command line?

PORTAGE_DEFAULT_OPTIONS="" emerge virtualbox-modules

as I had to do ...

Cheers,
Wol