On 2024-07-29, Eli Schwartz <eschwa...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> [...] I (for one) would appreciate some sort of notice when such an
>> unbundling happens so that I don't waste time trying to track down
>> why emerge suddenly wants to install a bunch of new packages.  I
>> can't really come up with a good mechanism for that other than news
>> items.
>
> Well, it is there in the `git log` of the package. And at
> https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-python/pip/changelog
>
>  Commits on 2024-06-23
>
> dev-python/pip: Unbundle dependencies

Right, but that's only useful after you track down the trigger for the
new packages. What would be nice is avoiding that "tracking down"
effort.  [I know, I should just relax, hit 'Y', and trust that emerge
and the devs know what they're doing.]

>> OK, now I'm genuinely curious: what does pip need to do with markdown
>> and RTF? My first guess was that its man pages aren't written in nroff
>> any more and somehow markdown was being used. [I already had at least
>> one markdown implementation installed, but pip apparently demands a
>> different one.] But there is no man page for pip. There are a bunch of
>> documents in /usr/share/doc/pip-<ver>, but they're all reStructured Text.
>>
>> Oh well, I guess I should be thankful it didn't force LaTeX and pandoc
>> installs.
>
> Python software loves to depend on python software and hates to depend
> on anything that isn't written in python, so I think you're pretty safe
> there. :)

Good point. :)

> As for why it needs to format markdown -- build dependencies of
> python software often do, since they want to render the darned stuff
> into the https://pypi.org display page for that software

Oh. Is that display page (in html?) written into a log somewhere or
shown during the build?

> and the one and only way to do so is to render it into the metadata
> files which get installed at runtime -- and which are also directly
> displayed on https://pypi.org
>
> I don't understand it myself, either.

You certainly understand more of it than I do.

> In this case it's actually a bit worse because pip internally uses, and
> usually bundles a code copy, of https://pypi.org/project/rich/
>
> "rich" can do a lot of things, including take markdown and print it with
> fancy formatting and colors to your terminal emulator. pip isn't using
> most of the features of rich, but it is *using* rich at all, and
> therefore markdown ends up as a recursive dependency.
>
> aside: there are pip manpages, funny you should mention that.

When installed on Gentoo using dev-python/pip?

> I could totally add another bdepend on sphinx for this! But I would have
> to package some things first. :(

No thanks, sphinx would pull in 10 more packages. :)

If I need pip documentation, I can google for it or look at the
rst.bz2 files install in /usr/share/doc...

Thanks for tolerating my whinging.

--
Grant