----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Webb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] use of /usr/src/linux symlink

051109 Holly Bostick wrote:
Can someone tell me on what basis this *needs* to be done
as a standard operation?  Not getting it at all.
How many kernels does one keep in a bootable state, anyway
-- and use commonly, without needed external modules, no less --
that this would be necessary?
Really, truly, not getting the point.

Switching kernels is not like using a different browser or editor.
I now have 2.6.14 working ok (still ~x86),
but am keeping 2.6.12 & (may be soon to go) 2.6.9 around
in case something unexpected happens with 2.6.14 .
However, if I want to use 2.6.12 , I will have to recompile Nvidia
& reset the display for Gkrellm & might even find something else needs doing.
Some apps do depend on the version of the kernel you are using.

Maybe I'm not getting what you're not getting ... (smile)

I've compiled many hundreds of kernels over the years on lots of linux distros, including Gentoo ~x86 systems, and it's perfectly acceptable to compile as user in /home/user/kernels, and then su to root for modules install and copying/renaming over bzImage to /boot.

I generally have anywhere from 4-8 experimental kernels listed in grub.conf. I use to not worry about making the linux symlink in /usr/src point to my currently running kernel every time, but lately I've taken to redoing it each time I compile a new kernel, as I've found more and more that emerging programs look for a kernel symlink in /usr/src, and if it isn't there, emerge fails.

I guess it depends on how much updating and compiling you do as too how aggrevating this would become, but since it's no big deal to change it, I'd recommend doing it as a matter of course, so you don't have to stop and do it during an emerge session.

Robert Crawford