On 9/24/24 8:34 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>>> The context of this discussion was an implication that the Gentoo
>>> maintainers wouldn't make a change "that made everyone's systems
>>> suddenly break".  I submitted a bug report about --depclean back in
>>> the summer of 2021 (though I can't find that bug any more).  I think
>>> it was closed as not-a-bug.
>
>> Whoever closed it was wrong, frankly.
>
> I've found the bug.  It was 803878.  The developer who responded treated
> my bug as though it were a request for personal support, and he
> completely evaded my point that it was a bug in portage which should be
> fixed.  It was actually closed as TEST-REQUEST, whatever that means.  The
> bug was never addressed.

The bug was confused about the issue at hand and lacking the full
explanation of why it's an issue it could be understood why it was
assumed to be a personal support request.

It is not a bug in portage, which is part of the confusion here. It is a
bug in virtual/service-manager.

I reopened the bug report, corrected the description, and assigned it.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/803878

--
Eli Schwartz