On Tue, Sep 24, 2024 at 09:42:23PM -0400, Eli Schwartz wrote

> If you actually want to disable ipv6, instead of insanely rebuilding
> binaries to use untested broken segfaulting code, use the sysctl
> knob to tell the kernel "when asked to give some application a bit
> of internet traffic, don't use ipv6".
>
> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6

  My system is actually very stable.  In the shitstorm that erupted on
this list at "ipv6" enabling I did not see any mention of sysctl.  In my
/etc/default/grub file I have...

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noexec=on net.ifnames=0 ipv6.disable=1"

With this setting is it guaranteed that a program compiled with "ipv6"
flag will not try IPV6 first and timeout before dropping down to IPV4?

  How OS-specific is this?  I "asked Mr. Google" and the NordVPN web
page recommended for Redhat based distros...

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
net.ipv6.conf.tun0.disable_ipv6=1

  For Debian-based distros...

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.tun0.disable_ipv6 = 1

  Other answers for disabling IPV6 include stuff like...

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6 = 1

  BTW, I did *NOT* have IPV6 enabled when the USE flag changed...

[x8940][root][~] grep IPV6 /usr/src/linux/.config
# CONFIG_IPV6 is not set

> That's quite the bloated collection of enabled USE flags you have
> there -- lots of stuff that are much more bloated than ipv6, in
> fact. :)

  Stuff that I don't use is left disabled.  I occasionally look at my
package.use file.  If a flag is enabled for multiple apps there, I run

USE="flag" emerge -pv --changed-use --deep --pdate @world

If there isn't much new stuff pulled in I'll...

* enable the flag in make.conf
* delete the enabling entries in package.use
* disable, in package.use, the flag for new stuff that tha flag pulls in

This minimizes the size of my package.use file.  Note: this is optimal
for the collection of apps *THAT I USE*.  YMMV.

--
There are 2 types of people
1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data