Walter Dnes wrote:
>   The Gentoo install suggested using "cronie".  I want to run a script
> daily as local user.  The config I want is...
>
> 35 7 * * * waltdnes /home/waltdnes/pm/check4update/check4update
>
>   I did some RTFM...
>
> * There is no "man cronie" but there is a /etc/init.d/cronie
> * There is a "man cron"
> * There is a "crond" and an "anacron"
> * There is "/etc/crontab" and "/etc/anacrontab"
>
>   My head hurts.  Which config file do I enter the config into, and are
> there any initialization steps?  Is there a simpler cron program, if
> that would help?

I set up a cron job ages ago on my old machine.  Just so happens I made
a note of a hard to find but needed step.  Look for crontab command.
According to my note, -e to add and -l to list.  You can use the command
run-parts /etc/cron.<directory only> to see if your file works.  Replace
directory only part with daily, weekly etc etc.  Tab completion comes in
handy.

Yea, I sometimes take notes.  My little notes file is getting large now.

That help?

Dale

:-)  :-)