Don't shoot me, he top posted so I assume he likes it too.

Noobie alert.  Take hand and with a quick motion go right over the top
of your head.  I did get the emerge -fup PACKAGE part though.

What I was needing is this.  Let's say I want to install mozilla.  I
issue the command, it downloads it from my local server.  Then it
compiles and installs it.  Then it deletes the source files in
/usr/portage/distfiles.  If it fails to install, I don't mind it staying
there then.

I thought I saw this option somewhere once before but I couldn't find
it.  I thought maybe it was in my blind spot somewhere.  Maybe not.  I
was hoping it was a option that I could set in make.conf or with the
emerge command itself.

Oh, well.  It almost through installing now.  Maybe I can keep it
cleaned out.

> swifty / # df
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda6              3564108   2352532   1211576  67% /
> udev                    127336        84    127252   1% /dev
> /dev/hda1                48312     37412     10900  78% /boot
> none                    127336         0    127336   0% /dev/shm
> swifty / #

I hope she doesn't want to save a lot fo junk.  LOL

< says prayer >

Dale
:-)