On 11/16/05, Dirk Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2005 10:19 schrieb ext brullo nulla:
>
> > You mean there's still devfs in 2.6.14, but it is "hidden"?
> > What's the sense of this?
>
> It's very hard to remove devfs from the kernel. Just removing the configure
> options for it makes it easier to put it in again, in case of to much
> complains about its removal. In addition, kernel developers can now remove
> devfs code piece by piece behind the scenes.

No, it's not.  Greg-KH (also a Gentoo developer, BTW) has posted
patches to completely remove the devfs code for every kernel for the
last few releases (starting with 2.6.11, I think).  It _is_ going
away, and it is going away very soon.

David, udev works, and it works well.  If you have problems migrating,
post here and we will help you.  But whining about devfs going away
will fall on deaf ears.  That horse died a very long time ago.

-Richard