On 11/16/05, Jeff Smelser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wednesday 16 November 2005 02:50 pm, Derek Tracy wrote:

> That is what I was thinking when I switched to stable..... From what I am
> seeing either my computer doesn't like stable code or stable does not mean
> stable anymore.

But thats not what you said. I Quote:

"In the past I have always leaned toward ~x86 (I love bleeding edge). But
since this was going to be a new install I decided to do the preferred method
and set all ~x86 flags via /etc/portage/package.keywords for specific
packages. "

This means your MIXING the two and is only recommended once the system is up.
During an install, you should do one or the other, not start mixing and
matching. HOWEVER, if you did set all to x86, and havent touched
package.keyword, read the next paragraph.

I did not set any of the flags as I wanted to get the system up and running first.  What I was doing was pointing out that if I needed to set the ~x86 flag on any packages then I would do so via the above stated file.

Stable is fine.. I really dont understand how some modules have ANY thing to
do with being x86 or ~x86..  Modules are always finicky, no matter what linux
distro you use.. You probably are just forgetting to compile in the kernel
options you had before, that you do not now have. (Guessing of course).

Been there and checked that.   Confirmed to not be the case.

Sounds to me you just re-installed before making sure you had all your ducks
in a row and blaming it on gentoo. I havent seen anything in your message
that I can say, gentoo did it, and you didnt do it yourself.. It all really
just sounds like configuration issues, that happens on all new install, no
matter the distro, x86/~x86, or otherwise.

I would have to disagree with you on this.  I do not believe that it is a config issue I beleive that many of the x86 packages still do not play well with each other, that is what I am saying needs fixed.

Jeff

--
Derek Tracy