Daevid Vincent wrote:

Okay I'm beyond annoyed.

Every day at around 3:00AM is when cron stops working until I reset it
manually.

What actually causes the cron.daily stuff to run?! How can I disable it
temporarily??

/etc/crontab only removes some touched files it looks like

"You had me at EHLO" --E.Webb (10.04.05)
Here's what I understand.  You should have something like the
following in /etc/crontabs:

# check scripts in cron.hourly, cron.daily, cron.weekly and cron.monthly
0     *  * * *  root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly
1     3  * * *  root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily
15    4  * * 6  root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.weekly
30    5  1 * *  root    rm -f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.monthly
*/10  *  * * *  root    test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons

The last line above is the key.

Take a look at /usr/sbin/run-crons (it's just a script).

Overly simplified, run-crons looks for touch files (/var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.*). If the touch file doesn't exist, it creates it, then runs any scripts found in the
coresponding directory (/etc/cron.*).

So, using my above crontab, let's say that 03:01 rolls around.
/var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily is deleted.
Next time that run-crons is ran, it notices that /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.daily
is missing, then so a new one and then looks in /etc/cron.daily and runs any
scripts it finds there.

What might be happening is one of you scripts in /etc/cron.daily is hanging.
Try running each one from the command line.

HTH,
Roy