John Jolet schrieb:
> On Nov 19, 2005, at 12:39 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>
>> Patrick McLean schrieb:
>>
>>> Running a system withoug pam is a rather strange thing to do on a
>>> modern
>>> Linux system, and I can think of very few reasons to do it.
>>
>> What do you need PAM for, when there's basically just one
>> (human) user on the system and the system acts as a "consumer"
>> (ie. no servers)? Why add the complexity of PAM? Where's
>> the gain - in *THAT* scenario?
>>

> I'm not sure about you, but I can think of MANY times over my career
> when I set up a box "to do just one thing" or "for just one person"
> and down the road all of a sudden, I needed another thing or another
> person.

Fine. That's a different scenario.

Please stick to the scenario I mentioned.

>  Retrofitting pam onto a running, configured system is not
> something I'd care to attempt.  Having pam on from the beginning, if
> you don't fiddle with the defaults, poses no extra complexity.

And what do you gain by using PAM? Again: Stick to the
scenario I mentioned. I think, that it is not an unusual
scenario - I tend to think, that it'll fit most home users
and also most desktop machines in a *SMALL* office enviroment.

Alexander Skwar