Hi

I just posted the same on the german gentoo user list:

HAL is no longer compiled with the --enable-fstab-sync option. Therefore
hotpluggable devices wont be automounted. To get around this, you can create
a overlay with the current hal-0.5.4.ebuild and add the following:

src_compile() {
    econf \
        $(use_enable debug verbose-mode) \
        $(use_enable pcmcia pcmcia-support) \
        --enable-sysfs-carrier \
        --enable-hotplug-map \
+     --enable-fstab-sync \
        $(use_enable doc docbook-docs) \
        $(use_enable doc doxygen-docs) \
        --with-pid-file=/var/run/hald.pid \
        || die "configure failed"

    emake || die "make failed"
}

Maybe you've to change the permissions on /etc/fstab to haldaemon:haldaemon,
as it needs the permission to change the file.

If you need informations on how to make an overlay, please ask!

Stefan

BTW: I don't know why --enable-fstab-sync isn't used anymore - maybe it's for
some good reason, I don't know. Do this on your own risk ;).