On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:20:10AM +1000, Richard Watson wrote:
> Hi - I just upgraded my kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r10 to
> kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.14-gentoo-r2. So far I have no sound (Alsa) or
> wireless connectivity (ipw2100). Do I need to re-emerge the relevant
> packages? And if I do will this remove the functionality from the old

yes. no.

You need to recompile the kernel modules against the new kernel for
them to work. And /lib/modules is protected so that recompiling kernel
modules for new kernels won't remove the modules for the old kernel.
(Hint: there is a reason that /lib/modules has subdirectories numbered
by kernel versions.)

> kernel. I can boot the old kernel fine with sound and everything.

HTH,

Love is like 2. It has irrational roots.
    ~Daniel Jonathan Peng
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 9 days, 17:53