At 21:10 2005.11.26., you wrote:
Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 11/26/05, Jeff Grossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I have just realized about programs that can be installed in slots.
>> Is there a way for me to find out what programs are installed in more
>> than one slot on my computer?  Can I tell if a particular program in a
>> slot is still needed?
>
>"emerge --prune --pretend world" will tell you all packages that have
>more than one version installed (ie. slotted).
>
>As for finding out whether a particular version of a slotted package
>is still needed or not, well, you could do:
>
>emerge --prune <pkg>
>emerge -Dv world
>revdep-rebuild
>
>But the above is a bit dangerous, and could break your system.  Be careful.

Thanks for the information.  That is one are where I think Gentoo can
definitely improve.  Making it so you can tell if removing a package
will kill anything.  I would imagine this is probably not an easy task
though.

Jeff

maybe there should be some options when updating and emerge tries to bring in new slot, see, now i have qt3 and qt4, qt3 was emerged as kde dependence but nothing depends on qt4. so there waste of time and space unless i don't need qt4 for development or whatever. am i right?

martins