Hi,
   My wife ran into a problem this evening that required I do a
reboot. She runs Gnome. Sometimes something about her setup goes
haywire and she loses all her desktop icons and her wallpaper. In the
past I've found that if we log her out and then in the console kill
all processes left running with her account as the owner that she can
then log back in and use Gnome correctly.

   This evening one of these processes was unkillable. I tried

kill -15 PID
kill -9 PID
killall -9 process_name

but none worked. To make forward progress I just rebooted.

   Is there some other way I could have tried killing this process?

Thanks,
Mark