Am Montag, den 28.11.2005, 22:34 -0800 schrieb maxim wexler:

> --- Petr Kocmid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 24 of November 2005 17:31, maxim wexler
> > wrote:
> >
> > > But what do I call it? hd0 and hd1 are taken.
> >
> > It may well depend on your chipset configuration,
> > number of actually connected
> > drives and bios boot settings. On my board, there
> > are 2 PATA and 1 SATA
> > channels on the same controller. In linux kernel,
> > PATA is hda and hdb, SATA
> > is hdc, no matter what drives are actually
> > connected. When i migrated my
> > installation from PATA hda to SATA hdc, grub
> > detected hda as hd0 and hdc as
> > hd1 before, but once I removed parallel drive, SATA
> > become hd0 in grub (but
> > still hdc in linux), since it is first (boot) bios
> > drive. So I needed to fix
> > grub config to hd0 and change a root= kernel
> > parameter to hdc, since grub
> > insists hd0 should be hda even if there is no drive
> > connected on PATA:
> >
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.10 root=/dev/hdc1
>
> is this a gentoo box?
>

> > Also, I did grub setup on SATA MBS
>
> what's "MBS"?
>
> > from booted grub shell, not in linux,
> > because what it sees is what it gets then.
> >
> > Hope this may help you.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. Here's where things
> stand:
>
> I did a fresh 2005.1 stage3 install onto the SATA
> drive without a hitch. I removed the ide drive, so
> there's only one hd.
>
> In dmesg the drive comes up as /dev/sda
>    sda1(Macro$haft) sda2(/boot) < sda5(swap) sda6(/)
> sda7(home)>
>
> When I boot w/ the grub floppy I do:
>
> grub> root (hd0,1)
>       Fs is ext2, part type 0x83
> grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6
>       [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x120, size 0x1463b31]

Shouldn't that read root=/dev/sda2 since your kernel obviously sits
in /boot == /dev/sda2 ? The root paramter should define the place where
your kernel / grub stage files reside IIRC and not where your root
filesystem is located. Naming the parameter root is quite misleading
though.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinz Sporn