Ernie Schroder wrote:

>Actually Neil, you're right, the 8 hours that it takes to build OO is not down
>time, but try playing poker on-line while it's running. I can never remember
>to do those long builds while I sleep so I end up, in this case, and for
>firefox, going for the immediate gratification.

Allow me to help make it so you won't even know it is compiling.  I
wouldn't want it to slow down your playing poker.  ;)  Put this in
make.conf:

>#
># PORTAGE_NICENESS provides a default increment to emerge's niceness level.
>#     Note: This is an increment. Running emerge in a niced environment will
>#     reduce it further. Default is unset.
>PORTAGE_NICENESS=1

1 or above is fine.  My KDE runs at 0 so it gets enough priority to make
it seem it is not compiling anything at all.

Someone mentioned running a CPU at 95 % before.  I run folding on all my
rigs so it is going to run anyway whether I am compiling OO.O or not.

Dale:-)

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.