Thanks John,

Let me understand this right:  Have you installed cups on the laptop?
Any printer drivers?  When you run localhost:631 in a browser on your
laptop, what do you see under printers when the laptop is connected to
the mac and what when it's not?  (assuming you restart cupsd on each
case to refresh its status).

PS. An OT question - I am really curious what is the default mac
firewall settings.  Can you please post the output of: # iptables -L -v
--
Regards,
Mick