Good afternoon,

It's evening here, but I get the general idea. :)

I have a Linksys WRT54GS router running openWRT firmware that gets its
IP via DHCP from my ISP. That's all working fine. I also have an account
with dyndns.org that is supposed to get updated when my IP changes. This
is where I've screwed something up because it's wasn't. I think I have
it configured properly now, but won't know until my IP changes again.

In the configuration on the dyndns website, enter an IP for your entry that you know is wrong. Wait the interval you configured and see if it updates to the correct one. Also, there should be an option somewhere to force your dyndns client to update immediately, but I'd recommend waiting the interval just to make sure that works too. Maybe turn it down to 5 minutes or something to reduce the wait. ;)

I'm going on the road for a few weeks, and will need to access my home
machine, so I'd like to test this out.

So, first off, is there a way for the network startup script to say

"Expire this lease and give me a different IP address"?
man udhcpc

I use the ISC dhclient (net-misc/dhcp), which can be signalled to release and renew its IP lease. There should be an option in any client to release its IP lease and renew it again, but your ISP will usually give you the same one anyway if it's available - and there's no way to tell it not to do that.

If not, is anyone here familiar with openWRT, udhcpc, ez-ipupdate and dyddns.org
configurations? I'd be glad to take this offline if it's too un-Gentoo
specific.
no, no, no, and yes. I run ddclient on my Gentoo router to update my dyndns entry (tarpman.homelinux.com).

Thanks,
John