On 12/3/05, Norbert Kamenicky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> yes, I know, but it means to download lot of tarballs, which is
> a bit complicated ... therefore I wish to have database on gentoo.org :-)

This issue has been discussed on this list before many times: because
ebuilds are compiled from source, there is no way to predict what the
contents of the package will be, due to differening USE flags, etc, so
building a comprehensive database would be impossible.

If I am looking for a specfiic file or command, I first try to search
Debian's package database:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents

Usually, I can find what I am looking for, and the Debian package name
is similar or identical to the Gentoo ebuild.

Matt