On 08:06 Sun 04 Dec     , C. Beamer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was upgrading gcc using the directions in the GCC Upgrade Guide.  All
> was going well.  I was user what the Guide refers to as the "safer"
> method.  I got to the 321 of 642 mark and the upgrade bombed.
>
> The specific upgrade being done was cyrus-sasl.  Early in the output it
> complained about both "gdbm" and "berkdb" USE flags being set.   Then, a
> message was displayed that it would be best to build this package with
> berkdb and told me how to set this in my "package.use" file.  The build
> waited 10 seconds and then proceeded. This occurred overnight, so I'm
> just finding this out.
>
> Immediately after waiting the 10 seconds for a response to the db issue,
> the build process displayed this message:
>
> * If you are still using postfix->sasl->saslauthd->pam->mysql for
> * authentication, please edit /etc/conf.d/saslauthd to read:
> * SASLAUTHD_OPTS="${SASLAUTH_MECH} -a pam -r"
> * Don't forget to restart the service: `/etc/init.d/saslauthd restart`.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what this means.  I do have mysql on my system and
> have to provide a password when I use the database associated with it,
> but beyond that, I don't know if I should be doing what this message is
> telling me or not.  Assistance here would be appreciated.
>
> Again, a pause for 10 seconds occurred while waiting for a response, but
> since I was asleep and didn't give one, the build went ahead.
>
> The configure process completed and the make started.
>
> The last few lines before the make process bombed and the first couple
> of lines of the error message are as follows:
>
> ar cru .libs/libsasldb.a db_gdbm.o allockey.o
> ar: allockey.o: No such file or directorymake[2]: *** [libsasldb.a] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [libsasldb.a] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/cyrus-sasl-2.1.20/work/cyrus-sasl-2.1.20/sasldb'
>
> If I am interpreting this correctly, it the configure and build went
> ahead using gdbm rather than berkdb and the correction would be to edit
> my package.use file as previously indicated and rebuild.
>
> However, my issue is that since I was at the 321/642 point of doing the
> 'emerge -e' world' portion of the upgrade, I don't know how to rectify
> the problems and continue with the upgrade.  Or do I have to start from
> scratch with the 'emerge -e world'?
>
> Can someone offer some guidance here?
>
> I apologize for the length of this, but wanted to make sure that I
> included all the details that might be relevant.
>
> Regards,
>
> Colleen
>

> --

Hi,
At the end of that same quide there're some hints on most common errors.
So to just continue on with the recompile run:"#emerge --resume --skipfirst".
But that will work only if no other emerge command was run in between.
Later you could investigate about this error.
It seems it just a matter of choosing the right way to authenticate.
HTH.Rumen