On Tuesday 06 December 2005 08:27, Kristian Poul Herkild <Kristian Poul
Herkild <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote about '[gentoo-user] nvidia cards -
compile in kernel or?':

> Now, I've shifted to the nvidia module and is in doubt whether I should
> compile any kind of nvidia support in the kernel or just leave it out,
> only using the nvidia module (basically should I compile the kernel with
> framebuffer support for nvidia or not? - would they conflict?)

The nVidia driver in the kernel is only a frame buffer driver and does not
provide accelerated OpenGL or DRI for X.  Also, it conflicts with the
nVidia provided kernel module that DOES provide X acceleration; loading
both will almost certainly cause a freeze, panic, and/or black screen.

If you want frame buffer console and/or splash screen, you can use the
nVidia provide kernel module for accelerated X and the standard VESA frame
buffer driver.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]