I've built a somewhat embedded gentoo system that I use on a robot. I'm
adding a webcam, which is a brand new field for me. I'm not even sure
how to define what I'm looking for.

I'm not using embedded-gentoo because I wanted to use the standard libc
and not uclibc.

I'd like to be able to stream video from the webcam. I don't need full
tv quality - even a jpeg every second or so will be fine. Trouble is,
all the software I've found so far assumes X and many other heavy
libraries. All I want is to capture jpeg images - I could write the
TCP/IP server part myself.

I'm using a creative notebook webcam and the spca5xx driver. There is a
suite of applications in a package called spcaview but it depends on X.

Can anyone suggest a solution, or at least a path of further research?

Perhaps what I'm looking for is a framegrabber and not a full webcam
server?

Thanks,
Michael