since 2.6.14 the kernel stops early before vesafb. The last lines look
 like this (taken from dmesg of 2.6.13):

have you tried booting of a kernel without vesafb?

yes and no. I didn't remove the VESA VGA graphics support from the kernel. But I booted without any vga= parameter. Otherwise I'll see just a blank screen.

Are there good reasons to remove VESA from kernel? The next view lines I expect from 2.6.14 are:

apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
JFS: nTxBlock = 1485, nTxLock = 11882
SGI XFS with ACLs, large block numbers, no debug enabled
Initializing Cryptographic API
Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
Non-volatile memory driver v1.2
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xc0000000, mapped to 0xcc900000, using 3072k, total 4096k

THX,

Sascha.