Michael 'entropie' Trommer wrote:
from gentoo-user-de:

media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629-r4
media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-r6
kernel: 2.6.12.5
xorg: 6.8.2-r6

Those were the nvidia versions I was using, and xorg too. The kernel however is 2.6.14-r4.

Partly solved:

I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run from nvidia.com and it works now as far as X.org it self. At least I have Gnome running. And got that flashy logo too. Gotta turn that one off ;)

However, I still can't play bzflag. But I got closer, nonetheless.

_glxgears returns following:_
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.

_nvidia-settings (under menuitem OpenGL/GLX information) return following:_
The OpenGL extension 'GLX' is not supported by
the X server or there was a problem retrieving
GLX information from the X server.

-Kristian Poul Herkild