Edwin Kapauni schreef:
> Why do mozilla-firefox and mozilla-thunderbird depend on
> gnome-base/gnome-vfs, even when they have
>
> --disable-gnomevfs --disable-gnomeui
>
> in their Configure arguments (about:buildconfig)?
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to really remove that dependency by
> configuration? We never use Gnome nor KDE and we'd really like to
> remove that stuff.

And what are your USE flags for those packages?

 emerge -pv mozilla-firefox mozilla-thunderbird

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5  -canvas -debug *+gnome*
-ipv6 +java -mozdevelop +mozsvg -xinerama +xprint 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-1.0.7-r3  -debug
*+gnome* -ipv6 +ldap -mozcalendar -moznoxft +truetype -xinerama +xprint 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Runtime Dependencies
mozilla-firefox-1.5

    app-arch/unzip
    app-arch/zip
    dev-libs/expat
 |     >= dev-libs/glib - 2.8.2
 |     >= dev-libs/libIDL - 0.8.0
 |     >= media-libs/jpeg - 6b
 |     >= media-libs/libmng - 1.0.0
 |     >= media-libs/libpng - 1.2.1
 |     >= sys-libs/zlib - 1.1.4
 |     >= www-client/mozilla-launcher - 1.42
 |     >= www-client/mozilla-launcher - 1.39
 |     >= x11-libs/gtk+ - 2.8.6
 |     >= x11-libs/pango - 1.10.1
 ==>   gnome >= gnome-base/gnome-vfs - 2.3.5
 |     mozsvg ! x11-base/xorg-x11 - 6.7.0-r2
 |     virtual/x11
 |     java virtual/jre

As you see, the "gnome" USE flag is what enables gnome-vfs (as an
*optional* dependency, based on the enabling or disabling of that flag),
The same goes for Thunderbird.

So try disabling the "gnome" USE flag-- you might want to do so globally
(in /etc/make.conf), if you don't use GNOME at all, and then run an
emerge -uaDNtv world to recompile all installed apps without GNOME support.

Hope this helps,
Holly