Installing from scratch and getting confused about where the kernel
framebuffer stuff is.

Quoting from the handbook here:

---
First of all you need to know what type of framebuffer device you're
using. If you use a Gentoo patched kernel tree (such as
gentoo-sources) you will have had the possibility of selecting
vesafb-tng as the VESA driver type (which is default for these kernel
sources).

If this is the case, you are using vesafb-tng and do not need to set a
vga statement. Otherwise you are using the vesafb driver and need to
set the vga statement.
---

I did use the gentoo-sources.  I did not use genkernel.

I didn't see anything about vesafb-tng in the make menuconfig options
nor in the resulting .config.  I'm assuming its under Graphic Drivers
section?

In older kernels I remember this being obvious but not in this one.

The install manual tells you that you have to know which type of
device but I wasn't able to tell where in the kernel config this is?

I've run gentoo for about a year or more and have never really got the
framebuffer stuff to work like I wanted, so have just ignored it all
that time.  I'd now like to get it working finally.

Seemed the stumbling block has always been getting the large console
resolution 1280x1024.  This is easily accomplished in lilo so I've
been running that way, but then ... no framebuffer.

Waaaa I want the gentoo trademark too.....