Well, I learn something new every day. I recalled reading in one of the Gentoo install docs that there was no way to download binary cuts of apps. Since there are /some/, KDE would probably be a good candidate for this... I agree. (I spent around two days anxiously waiting for KDE to compile.)

Another option for the original poster is ccache. The initial install will still take some time but recompiles are said to proceed much faster.

~ Tom

Gerhard Hoogterp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday 09 December 2005 23:20, Tom Smith wrote:
> Gentoo is a source-based distribution. This means that the software you
> receive comes in the form of source code. It's up to you to install (which
> includes compiling) the software with your specific preferences-! -this is
> what makes Gentoo what it is.

While this is true and one of the things that makes gentoo gentoo, there are
already binary packages in portage. mozilla-bin, openoffice-bin. Mostly big
packages which take some time to compile. So the idea of having a
pre-compiled KDE isn't that alien to the world of gentoo..

Gerhard