On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 15:23 -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a spare partition formatted as FAT 32 on an IDE
> disk.
>
> vfat and ide-disk support was compiled into the
> kernel.

as a module or built-in ?

> But #mount -t vfat responds w/ unknown fs type 'vfat'.

What does /var/log/messages show during this command?

> Even w/ -t auto it replies unknown fs 'vfat'. All
> other partitions, ext2, reiserfs, ntfs mount OK.

sounds like you haven't got the module loaded.  What does
`grep VFAT /usr/src/linux/.config`
show? (replace /usr/src/linux/.config with wherever your kernel config
file is)

You could also try `modprobe vfat` before you mount the disk

HTH,

Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be
sorry.