> > I have lots of different types of video files - from short funny ads, to
> > 1/2 hr tv episodes, to full movies, in all sorts of formats - wmv, avi,
> > mpeg, etc.
> >
> > I want to find a program (hopefully only 1!) that will help convert them
> > to a format playable by the device.  I'm happy if thats a command line
> > only program.  I will probably copy them 1 by 1 as I want to watch them.
>
> mencoder / transcode

ill bet for ffmpeg

> > Space it not too much of an issue (I'll eventually have about 60Gb on
> > the device) - I'd rather not lessen the quality any more than it is
> > already.
> >
> > So, here are my questions:
> > 1. whats the best format to use out of the ones listed, given
> >    a) Good quality (not much less than, or the same as original)
> >    b) Size reasonable - large files ok, but compression is always a
> > bonus)
>
> DivX

try xvid mpeg4 and theres many more with different sources, or google for
codecs and artefacts and stuff like that to pick best.

> > 2. what program will convert 'anything' to said format.
>
> See above
>
> > Many thanks for your suggestions.
> >

> > DivX-5.x
> > Resolution : [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Bit Rate : 4Mbps
> > Audio : MPEG-1 Layer III, AAC, ADPCM
> > Format :.AVI ,
> > Remark:DivX-3.x/4.x unsupported
>
> Pick this

converting wmv and other low quality sources with these settings will fill
your fresh device pretty soon. setting bitrate above 1800 kb/s isn't
necessary, almost no gain in quality.

martins
--
Linux 2.6.14-ck6 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
 06:48:02 up  3:00,  5 users,  load average: 4.43, 3.96, 3.23