On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:24:32 -0600, Dale wrote:

> >I run ~arch on everything, so this is still the case with portage
> >2.0.53. My iBook, running the same version, doesn't have this issue.

> I stand corrected.  I thought I read that they had made some changes
> that made things faster.  Me confused which is normal.  At least I
> didn't have to put on my feathers to find out.  ;)

There have been changes to make the cache handling faster, but this is
the initial start up that is the problem.

> ibook as in a Apple computer?  Wonder why it is faster?  I seem to
> recall their drives are fast, usually SCSI but not sure anymore.  Any
> idea why that one is faster?

Nothing special about the hardware, a standard 4200rpm IDE laptop drive.
The SATA RAID in my amd64 box should cream it, and does for everything
else.

One day I'll find the time to experiment on the two setups, and my x86
box, to try and find the difference here.

--
Neil Bothwick

Penis Envy is a total Phallusy.