On 2005-12-18 18:18:34 +0100 (Sun, Dec), Holly Bostick wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ grep FAT /usr/src/linux/.config #
> > CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL is not set # DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
> > CONFIG_FAT_FS=y CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
> > CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
> >

> Since you have the vfat module compiled into the kernel, it seems to me
> that this can only mean that the module is not loaded (as it might not
> be if a FAT32 filesystem did not need to be mounted at boot, because it
> was not detected, and/or the partition is not set to autoload at boot
> via /etc/fstab, and/or the module is not set to autoload at boot via
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.*).
>

> If you get an error when attempting to modprobe, or after modprobing
> mounting still returns an error, then we've at least got more
> information (in the case of an error), or eliminated one possible cause
> (if mounting still fails after successfully modprobing the module).

As I can see the VFAT is compiled in the kernel, not as a module.
Compare:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $  zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i fat
CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y
# DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=852
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-2"

I wonder what is in your /proc/filesystems and /etc/filesystems ? Could
you post their contents here?

And are you sure that /usr/src/linux/.config belongs to the kernel you
actualy run?
It would not hurt to modprobe, anyway. ;-)