Richard Fish wrote:

>On 12/17/05, C. Beamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Up until now, when the computer boots and goes through its startup
>>routine, the screen will "blip" and then the text that is scrolling by
>>on the screen prior to starting the gui interface, reduces in size.
>>Now, the screen still does a slight "blip", but  the screen font remains
>>the same size as it was prior to the "blip".
>>

>The 'blip' is usually when the framebuffer graphics driver turns on
>and changes the video mode.  Since you are not seeing any difference,
>either the framebuffer driver is failing, or you are now using just
>the plain vga driver instead of something more advanced (like
>vesafb-tng).
>
>Take a look at what you have under "Device Drivers->Graphics Support",
>the answer is probably in there.

I played with this for the better part of the afternoon.  Nothing
changed.  I *do* have vesafb-tng enabled.

This might be way out in left field, but I compared something between my
laptop, which works fine loading the framebuffer device running kernel
2.6.14-r4 and my desktop which I upgraded to kernel 2.6.14-r5.

Running menuconfig, the following lines show:

Device Drivers --->
Character Devices --->
  [*] Virtual terminal
  [*] Support for console on virtual terminal

There are no such lines in running menuconfig on my desktop.  The
difference *could* be laptop<-->desktop, but I thought I would ask.

Regards,

Colleen