As stated before, x11vnc is by far the easiest system to set this up with. When you have an x session running, you can run x11vnc (that's all you need to type) and then connect from anywhere. You can even run the command over an ssh connection. My favorite way of using this is through putty, just forward local port 5900 to the remote host, login to the remote host, start up x11vnc and then run a vncviewer connected to localhost:0, works great.