> > No, nothing, zip.  Not a single line.
>
> The most likely your kernel does not have USB support built in, or USB
> has been disabled in the BIOS, or it is broken.  The only things
> required to generate the "new device" line is working hardware and a
> correct kernel configuration.

The only option in bios I see is "enable P&P  OS installed" but that
didn't help.
I have both USB and SCSI build-into the kernel-2.6.14-r4

    Device Drivers
                       SCSI device support --->
                    [*] legacy /proc/scsi/ support
                         <*> SCSI disk support
                       <*> SCSI generic support

     USB support --->
                       [*] USB device filesystem
                    <*> EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support
               <*> UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support
                      <*> USB Mass Storage support

This would seem to me is enough to enable USB and SCSI support.

>  Did you enable /proc/config.gz support?  Can you double-check your
> configuration there?

How do you enable it?

--
#Joseph