Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> A few things:
>
> 1. Run "equery check baselayout".  If it reports anything wrong in
> /lib/rcscripts, re-merge it.

equery did show a herd of wrong mtimes.  Which I'm guessing is
probably normal but it also shows MAKEDEV missing.  So I re-emerged
it.  Following re-emerge, equery now shows:

  root # equery  check baselayout 2>&1|tee file2
  !!! /etc/rc.conf has incorrect md5sum
  !!! /etc/gentoo-release has wrong mtime (is 1135082266, should be
      1135082250)
  !!! /etc/conf.d/hostname has incorrect md5sum
  !!! /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 has incorrect md5sum
  !!! /etc/conf.d/clock has incorrect md5sum
  !!! /etc/conf.d/domainname has incorrect md5sum
  sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.0_pre11-r3:
   * 153 out of 159 files good

However, it didn't help the init script problem a bit.  I still see
the long list of stuff and a failure trying to start stuff with:
  /etc/init.d/NAME start

> 2. Make sure that net.eth1 is a symlink to net.lo, _not_ a copy of an
> old script.

Bingo...!  It was not a symlink and was massively different.  Checking
backups from previous running system (before recent full reinstall) I
see net.eth0 and net.eth1 both symlinked to net.lo.  So renamed the
current net.eth1 and symlinked a net.eth1 to net.lo.

Starting services now works as expected.

Thank you Mr. Fish, I'd probably never have figured this out from
looking at the init process or the scripts.