On 12/22/05, Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:07:12PM -0700, Richard Fish wrote
>
> > Everything looks ok.  Could you try:
> >
> > strace -f -o /tmp/strace.out ping -c 4 www.google.com
>
>   I uncommented most of nscd.conf and rebooted, but still no luck.  I
> don't know the attachment policy here, so I'm putting the stack trace
> (all 12 kbytes) on my webpage.  Execute...
>
> wget www.waltdnes.org/strace.txt
>
> ...to have a look.  It appears to be opening files all over the place.

There is something strange here....

When I lookup "www.google.com", I get:

carcharias ~ # host www.google.com
www.google.com has address 66.102.7.104
carcharias ~ # host 66.102.7.104
104.7.102.66.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer www.google.com.

However for www.google.com, you get 72.14.203.104.  But that address
doesn't resolve to a host name when I do a reverse lookup.

carcharias ~ # host 72.14.203.104
104.203.14.72.in-addr.arpa has no PTR record

If I had to make a guess, I would say that your ISP has got some kind
of proxy service setup that lies to you about the address of
www.google.com, so that you actually connect through one of their
servers.

If that is the case, then it is also possible that they set the expire
time on the DNS responses to expire immediately to prevent any local
caching of the addresses.

You might test with a less popular address, something that is unlikely
to be cached/proxied by your ISP.

Anyway nscd appears to be setup and working correctly.  Ping connected
to the nscd socket, and did not send any DNS queries directly.  So
your end looks like it is setup and working correctly.

-Richard