On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:09:47 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> What is it supposed to do?  Here it gets genlops usage message.
> >
> > you need to give the name of the package you want to compare against
> > as an argument to the script. Sorry, I should have made that clear.
>
> Why would you trim off the date info?

To pass to genlop with --date, in order to get a list of all packages
installed after that date.

> With your find approach, if the package has been uninstalled you'll
> find nothing.

Of course. The question was about finding all packages installed after a
particular reference package, in this case gcc. If the reference package
is no longer installed 9impossible with gcc of course) the question
becomes pointless.

> If you were wanting to know if some other behaviour could be dated to
> the uninstall of something it would be of no use.

It would, you'd only have to modify it to use genlop's -u option.

All of this is irrelevant anyway, using genlop and parsing the output is
going round three sides of a square instead of going in a straight line
with find. Using a non-standard bash or perl script to parse the output
of an optional perl script seems rather redundant when you can do it all
with one call to a core command.

--
Neil Bothwick

After a few years in space, even Worf started to look good...