051225 Ian Hastie wrote:
> 24 Dec 2005 Philip Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> There will be a leap second between 051231 235959 & 060101 000000 .
>> Does anyone know how the time servers used by NTP handle this ?
>> Is it just left to the local machine to realise it's  1 sec  fast
>> & adjust over a few hours or does something else alert it to correct
>> things ? If the former, it could create problems for those running
>> experiments; if the latter, does anyone know how it is done ?
>> The last leap second was 1998/9 ,
> The newer NTP standard is now RFC1305, http://rfc.net/rfc1305.html.

The details are in Appx E : it seems a warning bit is set manually
by the operator of the primary time server during the previous day
& one supposes -- hopes (smile) -- that local NTP clients receive it
& understand what it all means, thereby resetting the local clock.

Perhaps we should all watch our Gkrellms as 2006 flips into view ...

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]