On Wednesday 28 December 2005 11:33, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:22:07 -0500 Jerry McBride
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | All the gentoo systems that I admin show the same slow down at about
> | 51%. I dearly wish we'd get away from a file based database. And
> | before everyone jumps on me about the various database backend
> | patches that I can apply to get what I cry for... I've tried them...
> | None of them put "all the data" into a real database... A shame
> | too....
>
> Wrong solution. You do realise that the "updating Portage cache" thing
> is due to a Portage deficiency,

"Portage deficency"? You mean the fact that python scans some thousands of
files in the file based database, writing as it goes?

> and that the real cache is centrally generated, right?

Yup, from thousands of files in the file based database...

Portage is a wonderful tool for package management, but the sheer size of the
beast begs for movig it to C and a proper database. I remember in the early
days of my gentoo experience that portage wasn't a bother. But as ebuilds are
added to portage and my choice of installed ebuilds grows... portage has
become quite a slug performance wise. I guess this is where the IT types step
in and say it scales poorly.

Cheers all and Happy New Year to everyone.

Jerry