You cannot really stay current on binaries but you can gradually convert your binary installation to a self-compiled one. You said above that your *main* machine was a laptop with insufficient harddisk space and CPU power. That implies you do have at least one other box. You could keep the whole portage
tree, including the sources, on that other box and nfs mount it.
Alternatively, if that other box has got more CPU power, you can compile the whole thing there, tar everything (except the portage tree) up, boot the laptop from a livecd, get the tarball over and ... well ... untar it. ;-)
That's what I usually do with a new box, so I don't have to start from
scratch.

bear in mind that this is more difficult if they two machines don't have the same architecture/use flags. be careful with this approach. If you optimize a compile for a p4 and try to run it on a p3...well, that might or might not work.