> >> should it be ext2 above?
> >
> > The filesystem is ext3 as notated in fstab.
>
> Sorry, you wrote ext2 right above it.
>
> Typically, boot is ext2, and ext2 has to be in the kernel at
> this stage. If you want ext3, you should compile in ext3 support into the
> kernel. (boot will load either way since ext3 is really ext2 with a
> journal).

I don't think I'm explaining this properly.  I have ext3 support in my
kernel, but not ext2.  Both my root and boot partitions are ext3.  All
of a sudden I'm getting this:

# mount /dev/hda1 /boot
mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext2'

but also this:

# mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /boot
#

Why does mount use ext2 by default?  This hasn't happened before.  I
have no special grub configuration and fstab specifies ext3 for boot.

Is this the kind of issue that comes and goes on a Gentoo system and
isn't worth looking into?

- Grant