On Fri, December 30, 2005 9:05 pm, Qiangning Hong wrote:
> Michael Sullivan wrote:
>> Yesterday I compiled a kernel with ALSA support for my card compiled in.
>> I booted with that kernel yesterday and everything worked great. Today
>> when I booted into Linux I got errors when alsasound tried to start.
>> Here are the errors:
>
> [...]
>
>> #
>> # Loadable module support
>> #
>> CONFIG_MODULES=y
>> CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
>> # CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD is not set
>> CONFIG_OBSOLETE_MODPARM=y
>> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
>
> I resolved the same problem yesterday by re-make menuconfig and change
> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS to n.  However, I don't know if this is the proper way.
>
>> # CONFIG_MODULE_SRCVERSION_ALL is not set
>> CONFIG_KMOD=y
>> CONFIG_STOP_MACHINE=y
>
> --
> Qiangning Hong
> http://hongqn.hn.org
> Registered Linux User #396996
> --

I was wrong.  I completely missed the bit about CONFIG_MODVERSIONS.
alsasound can start now, but I can't seem to unmute my card.  alsamixer
refuses to work.  It gives me an error:

camille ~ # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
[ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
[ ok ]
camille ~ # alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_mixer_load failed: Invalid argument
camille ~ #

Any ideas on this one?